I am building a home and the builder says it's legal to

Customer Question
I am building a...

I am building a home and the builder says it's legal to short my rooms by 1 to 2 inches. is that true.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes ma'am, raleigh, nc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We signed a contract and have a mortgage loan.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am that's all for now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what do you mean by short?

The measurements should match drawings exactly. Otherwise could have issues with engineering and possible fraud.

for example one room was supposed to be 12'5 by 12'1 he says he can have a variance by an inch to 2 inches so makes the room 12'3 by 11'11

He should adhere to the drawings of the engineer and architect and not deviate unless both consent in writing and drawings updated.

He is saying that the drawing they give when you purchase is a rendering. I asked the saleswoman before we signed contract if that was gonna be the finished size of my roooms when finished and she said yes. We signed contract and now he's saying that he doesnt know what her and I conversation was and I am stuck with smaller rooms throughout my home.

If there is a contract with dimensions, they should be adhered to. I see no reason for variance. If there is one out of necessity, everyone should be aware and agree. I see no reason to agree to smaller rooms.

Is the reply acceptable?

There was no blueprint when we had to sign contract, so are we out of luck? The only thing they give is an artist rendering with the room sizes and layout of house.

You should still insist on the measurements you were expecting and if those cannot be done perhaps a price adjustment.

They aren't willing to give adjustment he says he is in accordance with NBA

Well your options are to let it go, negotiate with a lawyer, or sue depending on how much it bothers you and willing to spend to pursue.

Good luck!!

The House was supposed to be built using 2x4 he used 2x6's he slipped up and said he did that because it saves their company money by using them because the insulation is cheaper. Well he took 2×6 down but my rooms are still about 2 inches short. They are framing right now.

I would involve a lawyer to demand correction asap.

Thank you so much

very welcome. Kindly rate me 5 stars.