I work for a hospital that offers "reimbursement" for school…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a hospital that offers "reimbursement" for school but I struggle with a busy lifestyle to deal with all the constant papers they want sent in in order to get the reimbursement and In the beginning when i started I asked so many people but no one could give me clear answers on how to get my reimbursement or what I needed to do. I am upset now because I have 22,000 in student loan debt that quite frankly should have been paid by my hospital but I kept getting answers like sorry you were supposed to submit these within 6 months or we need more paperwork, etc. Do I have a case to get my money or do I need to just suck it up and pay now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As in reported to whom?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of, I was part time for a few years so I wouldn't have been eligible for full reimbursement

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have the copy of the hospital policy about paying for school and they have not paid as they have agreed to pay, this is called breach of contract and under NY law you have 6 years statute of limitations to sue for breach of contract. They have to prove they communicated the process for reimbursement to all employees clearly and if there is no proof of that, they cannot use the defense that you did not follow the process and as such you would be entitled to the reimbursement they promised you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney