My brother-in-law is a distance truck driver. He’s telling…

Customer Question
My brother-in-law is a long...
My brother-in-law is a long distance truck driver. He’s telling me he Thanks he can legally deduct $50 a day for food expenses he said that’s a per DM is that true
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

He is correct. The IRS allows a meal expense of $51.00 per day for tax payers who must travel for their work.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463#en_US_2016_publink100033793

Scroll to:

"Amount of standard meal allowance.

The standard meal allowance is the federal M&IE rate. For travel in 2016, the rate for most small localities in the United States is $51 a day.

Most major cities and many other localities in the United States are designated as high-cost areas, qualifying for higher standard meal allowances."

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer