We are buying a condo. Expect to make a down payment. Do we…

Customer Question
We are buying a...

We are buying a condo. Expect to make a down payment. Do we need a lawyer for this initial transaction? Do we need a lawyer to buy this property? We are not lawyers but have higher education (3 masters degrees in our fields).

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In In Suffern NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are the earliest stage of buying.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 7 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You don't ever need a lawyer to purchase property. Lawyers are good for drawing up contracts, etc... but so are realtors. You can even find a standard offer / sales contract online and use that as a template for the paperwork that you use. You can even go to the library and check out a book or two on purchasing property without a realtor and the process involved. In short, to answer your question, you don't need a lawyer for this. Having a lawyer (especially one that handles real estate law specifically) is a good idea if you're making a major commercial purchase (that is, you're buying the condominium building, rather than a unit, etc...) but otherwise it would be better to have a realtor or even do it on your own (with some education like I talked about above).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!