I have a small claims judgment in CA. It is good for ten…

Hi, I have a small...
Hi, I have a small claims judgment in CA. It is good for ten years, with a couple years to go, until I would have to refile the judgment. The court approved a court mediated settlement of 4500 dollars....I compromised from 8000 or so. The mediator said it was a great deal for the defendant. He agreed to an installment plan and never paid. I attained a court ordered wage garnishment but he was fired prior to implementation...and left the state. I search for him every year or so. He actually answered his phone several years ago, but would provide no information. Recently I located his ex wife. She told me she thought he had the same number and lived in Michigan. I found him on Facebook and Linkedin. I have his Social Security Number and CA Drivers License..probably not valid anymore in Michigan. He works for O'Reilly Auto Parts in Novi, Michigan according to his Linkedin page. I searched the internet how to enforce a CA court judgement...garnishing his wages, in MI. I am unclear the steps necessary to attempt to complete the process with the best chance of success. Can you tell me the steps necessary to enforce the CA Court mediated judgment in MI...so I can garnish his wages. The original award was 4500. Interest accrues at 10% per year....the debt now is about 8,000 or so. Thanks for your time. dan
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

You need to domesticate the judgment in Michigan, then do a wage garnishment in the court there.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

How do I do I domesticate the judgment in Michigan...and then do the wage garnishment in their court. I live in CA, so I will want to do this online/phone/mail or it will be problematic. Thanks for providing details. I appreciate your time DrakeLaw. dan
Before I rate, I asked a follow up question to your first reply. Thanks for getting back. dan
Hi I received another email to rate your service. I will kindly do so, even give a bit more, but I asked for some follow up info...sent previously. Let me know if did not receive and I will ask it again. Thanks for your time Rich. dan

Hello, I was away for the weekend.

First we need to figure out which court to use in MI. Do you know what city he resides in? Do you know who his employer is?

Hi Rich...hope you had a good time. I am out of town now...returning Sunday. I think he works at Oreilly Auto in Novi? MI..but have info at home. I don’t think I know his address but do have his SS number. I hope to be able to serve at his work somehow..after doing what I need to do to make the CA judgement good in MI. I will look for address of his work when home and get back to you. Let me know what else I can do to collect on the Court mediated settlement. Thanks Rich. dan

Sounds good, let me know when you know which city he lives in and lets go from there.

You can also request a debtor's exam in the court you got the judgment in which will require him to appear and provide all his financial info and if he doesn't you might be able to get an arrest warrant issued.

Hi Rich, I am back home. A couple of developments. I looked at the Facebook page that had shown he worked at Oreilly's Auto Parts in Novi, MI. It was taken down. There is a picture of him with I assume one of his son's. I have contacted his ex wife...prior to leaving out of town..I tracked down her contact info and she replied a couple times via email...which I saved....so though she was very cordial to me and always was when she was living with him in the rental house, perhaps she notified him? I don't know. She did provide the same phone number I have for him. I have not called him in awhile and am holding off now. She says she thought he was in Michigan, and that he sees his two kids he had with her every couple of years...sounds like she is still very upset with him. I did a phone search and it says the phone is in Eleverson, Pa. When I did an Intelus search for him, with that number, it appears to be a different person..but perhaps he does have the same phone. Anyway, I contacted the Oreilly's in Novi, MI. this morning. A man answered and said he used to work there, hasn't seen for quite a while, but thought he moved to the Canton, MI Oreilly's store. I called there,(###) ###-#### I spoke with the manager, Chuck. I asked if Marc was there or in today. He said he works a couple days a week, and doesn't have a set schedule. He said he thought he was coming in Thursday. I told him I would call back then. So along with his ex wife, Valerie, perhaps the name of his son on the Facebook picture, that he works at Orielly's in Canton, MI...maybe there is something I can do....what might/should be the next steps? The original judgment was for about 4500. With accrued CA Court 10% interest the amount is closer to 8K. Would you want to take on the case for 1/2 the money gained. If not thanks again for letting me know how best to proceed...I will provide a tip when we have concluded. Maybe you know someone who might want to enjoin me and my proposal. Thanks again for the help Rich. I appreciate your time. dan

I am not able to assist with the filings, as I am not licensed in Michigan. I am happy to guide you though. Trying to find a lawyer in Michigan to collect on it may not be a bad idea. Let me see if I can find someone that might attempt collection on a contingency basis.

Hi Rich, have you had any luck locating a Michigan lawyer..someone who may want to file the paperwork and split what might be attained. Thanks for your help Rich. dan
Hi Rich, I know you must be busy and hopefully enjoying your weekend. When you have time thanks for letting me know if you found a MI lawyer who may want to enjoin my case for 50% and if not helping me with the next steps. I appreciate your time. dan
Rich..are you around? Ok? I guess if I don’t hear from you I will contact Just Answer to see what to do next. Thanks. dan
Hi Rich, I see you are online now....were you able to find a lawyer in MI that might take my case on contingency...if not you said you would help me complete the steps necessary to try to recover on my settled small claims case. Thanks for getting back. I appreciate your time. dan

Dan, sorry about those missed messages, for some reason it wasn't showing up in my Active list. Glad you messaged again. Let me get back on this tomorrow. I see it in my list now.

Hey Rich, thanks for getting back as soon as possible. The question still says closed. Can you correct keep open and get back to me as you mentioned you would. Thanks Rich. dan
Hey Rich...is there still a problem with you receiving my messages? It says you are online now..Tuesday January 16. Can you get back with Info you were going to communicate? Thanks for getting back if you can today. dan
Hey Rich...looks like having the same problem as before...let me know if you receive this....last time I had to get the JA CS to contact you to contact me.....thanks for getting back if you get this. dan
HI Rich...just called customer service again...they said they will send you another message to get back with me...I don't know if you are getting any of mine..probably not....as I have not heard from you as you said you would get back to me. We will see if just answer can fix the glitch. Thanks Rich. dan
Hi Rich...after calling customer service again..I now just sent them an email...hopefully we will get back in contact soon...here is the email I sent them......Hello,I just contacted Serge of your customer service team via phone. I have an ongoing open question with Rich of Drakes Law…he is online currently as I type this, Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 1007 PST.Rich and I were discussing a small claims issue. I began the conversation in November of 2017. As you can read….in the open case….he said he would get back to me…he did not. I contacted Customer Service..they said they would reach out to Rich. They did. He got back to me saying my replies were not showing in his active list…he said after you contacted him, they did.Rich said he would get back to me the next day. Again no response. Over the next several weeks I saw him online several times. I tried to reach out..again as you can see in the question replies.Today once again Serge said the Just Answer Moderator would reach out to Rich of Drakes Law and tell him to respond to me. I will wait to see.I understand I have been charged and understand I can request another legal expert. I do not want to change experts at this time as Rich was helping me…looking for additional answers for me.The problem seems to be a glitch in the system. I hope it can be worked out so Rich and I can once again continue our conversation.Thanks for letting me know Rich of Drakes Law has been contacted and that any issues you may have had with him receiving my replies and me receiving his has been mitigated.Thanks.dan

I did not find too much on the Internet for judgment collection lawyers in Michigan.

Here is a start, one option is to sell the judgment, either way, I think its a worth call to learn about it and maybe they have lawyer referrals:

https://www.mhwrecovery.com/michigan-judgment-recovery-collection.aspx

This firm looks very good at collection but may be more geared towards larger commercial debts. But same thing, I think definitely worth a call and if its too small or not the area for them, they probably have referrals that will work for you:

https://mullerfirm.com/

DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Thanks for for the help Rich...prior to closing the case with you...let me get back to you when I hear from both of the companies you referred. You also mentioned in a previous reply you may be able to walk me through the MI collection steps...transferring the case from CA to MI. I will let you know what the companies say though and get back to you. Hopefully the Just Answer site has resolved the issue of you and I not able to communicate for a bit. Thanks again for all Rich. dan
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer