I am disabled, almost 70 yrs old, found a job by surprise…

Customer Question
Hello, I am disabled...

Hello, I am disabled, almost 70 yrs old, found a job by surprise this yr & have earned almost $7,500. I live in a state run housing and want to know if I will have to leave here because I earned money? I know I can work but not sure how much i can earn. This is the first time I have even attempted to work. My health is going down but I am attempting to start paying Dr. Emonds. I owe him over $6,500. Can they increase my rent to any amount? How does this disability work? With no family & friends will I have to live in my car.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh, yes, of course, Maine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am not sure. I know we can work but not sure past that. I think it's at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No unless u can think of something?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The income limits are different for each property. You can find out the specific restrictions for the property where you live by calling(###) ###-####or using this website.

The rent is also going to depend on specifically which program you're a part of, as the state has a few different ones. For income-based programs, an increase in income could result in an increase to your rent payment. None of the programs would remove someone for earning $7,500 in a year, but if you also have disability income, that could make a difference.

They'll look at your total income to determine ongoing eligibility.

Do you have any other questions about this?