Me and my girlfriend have been living together for over 15…

Customer Question
Me and my girlfriend...

Me and my girlfriend have been living together for over 15 years.what are her rights by law?i live in missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Because the two of you are not married, she does not have any rights to any assets held in your name only. She would be entitled to half the value of any assets held jointly, like if you had purchased a house or car together. In the event of a break-up, it's up to the two of you to divide up your belongings. Courts typically won't get involved with that.

If the house is in your name only, then she has the same rights as a month to month tenant: you must give her 30 days notice before she can be required to move out. That's it. The state wants to encourage people to get married, so the protections that she would get if you were married do not apply in this scenario. Similarly, if the house is in her name only, it belongs to her, and she'll get 100% of it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?