I have a promissory note and the debtor has not paid the…

Customer Question
I have a promissory...

I have a promissory note and the debtor has not paid the agreed upon amount

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don" ' I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/30/2017
Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
In general, the terms of the promissory note will govern the determination of default. The note should contain provisions regarding late payments, late fees and the chain of events upon a borrower’s official default.The first step upon default is to send a demand letter to the debtor. This letter puts the debtor on notice that he has defaulted on the loan and you have opted to call the entire amount due. In the letter, you should include the total amount due with interest and penalties as well as the due date. The letter may also contain other statutory language relating to fair debt collection practices, which is required under federal law.If they do not respond and pay as agreed in the note then you may then file a lawsuit in New Jersey Superior Court. The promissory note will be attached to the complaint and will serve as evidence of the existence of the debt. The debtor may attempt to object to the debt or litigate the issue. After you obtain a judgment and it is entered, you can start the process of enforcing the judgment lien.
I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question for credit and tracking so that I will receive payment for assisting you with your question