If you and your boyfriend have an apartment together and he…

Customer Question
Okay so if you...

Okay so if you and your boyfriend have an apartment together and he pays the rent and both ppl are on the lease, if he passes away during duration of the lease, is he’s assets still responsible for the rent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Meaning the death? Well it happened in PR and were waiting for the body to be sent over here.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: The way it would work is the the landlord only has to expect rent from the remaining person on the lease. However, the girlfriend could in theory try to go after the assets of the estate of the boyfriend for payment of that person's share of the rent. I hope I've answered your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

How you the girlfriend go about getting the assets of estate?
Would*

There would generally be an estate administrator who the gf would contact regarding any claims.

When will I found out who is estate admin is? Or do I just google one? Or it’s an assigned thing?

If there is an estate, then it may have been probated so if you contact the probate court you *might* be able to find out. Otherwise, I would say to try to contact family members. If someone has a will and there is an estate administrator, that person generally reaches out to the people in the will.

Here is some additional information: http://info.legalzoom.com/file-claim-against-estate-deceased-22142.html