I have. Colorado

Customer Question
Colorado Lawyer's Assistant: Has...

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I am currently out on short-term disability until January 28, 2018 my employer is making changes in my salary and hours work that will take affect January 8 I feel they should wait until I am off disability to enact these changes. Are there any laws around this
I am awaiting a response

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, under the ADA and under FMLA, they cannot mess with your pay. However, they cannot do this if it is on the basis of your disability. If it is on the basis of some business-related decision and it affects more than just you, then this is something that they can do, unfortunately. The only exceptions would be if you had an agreement that your pay would not be changed for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, they can make changes to your pay. I'd recommend speaking with your state disability insurance provider or your private disability insurance provider and ask them specifically whether there is a local statute that prohibits this and if it is allowed, if your take home amount will be altered. You don't want to end up having been overpaid because your salary changed in the middle of you being out on disability.

What other questions did you have for me?

Tina, Lawyer