How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 103584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would like a lawyer to call about a broken lease and

Customer Question

would like a lawyer to call about a broken lease and promissory note in texas and I also need a restraining order againast him
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texss
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me a little more about what is going on, and what I can answer for you, exactly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I broke a lease and now the landlord is threatening to jail me for theft of service. additionally I was late on a promissory note for furniture and he says hes filing theft and sending me to jail as well.
I want to file a restraining also because he calls my parents, my job and contacts my FB friends
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Well first of all breaking a contract is not a criminal act in Texas. Theft of service deals with things like skipping on your restaurant bill, or, paying with a bad check/card knowing that it would be declined. So this should not become a criminal matter. The owner is simply trying to scare you into paying. He cannot send you to jail.

Now, as for restraining orders, you can see specific instructions on how to file one HERE if you need to. Good luck.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.