Can lap tops be compliant, for temporary storage of

Customer Question
Can lap tops be...

Can lap tops be compliant, for temporary storage of documents if it is in a folder with two passwords?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, it is a new process I am being asked to implement by IT and I am unsure

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you asking about HIPAA electronic records compliance?

I cannot speak by phone right now

Thank you for your reply.

The biggest HIPAA violation is storing electronic records on devices such as ipads or laptops that do not have HIPAA compliant security software on the devices. Many people utilize laptops or ipads, but use icloud HIPAA complaint storage to store the items from the devices and even if you are temporarily storing the information on your laptop with 2 or more passwords being required, if the laptop is lost or stolen you could still be found in violation of the electronic records security compliance rules.

So the answer to your question is you cannot even temporarily store electronic patient records on a device without software that is not HIPAA electronic records security compliant.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.