Everquote insurance using my confidential auto quote.Posting…

Customer Question
Everquote insurance using my...

Everquote insurance using my confidential auto quote.Posting on several site on Yahoo with my name and birthday without my permission. Can his co do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Ohio, 2008 and 2007

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet 1 Try to find legal help to stop it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Posting personal information online of a person that could lead to identity theft is a breach of a duty of confidentiality. Typically the name and address of a person is not confidential, but when combined with a birth date it is getting closer to being confidential information. However it is borderline still, because under the law the only truly confidential information is your Social Security Number and if they are not publishing that, then they really have not violated the law. Even if they have not violated the law, they should have a confidentiality agreement as part of their service AND you are entitled to that policy and if they have violated that policy, then you have grounds to sue them for breach of contract and seek not only damages, but a court order to remove the information.

You need to start by contacting the company and demanding they remove your information from the internet and also send your demand to the actual sites where it is being displayed as well, since each site has to be notified to remove the information. If they refuse, then you need to get the initial company's privacy policy and seek to sue for breach of that policy to seek a court order to all of the sites to remove the information, plus damages you may have suffered.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.