My stepson lost his counseling (msw) license about four

Customer Question
My stepson lost his...

My stepson lost his counseling (msw) license about four years ago due to a felony conviction and admittance to a mental hospital. He is doing well, now, and is taking medicine and is taking medicin3 for his bipolar condition.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

He he has the opportunity to get his license back by going through some administrative process for which he believes he needs a lawyer. He’s on disability and can’t pay the $9000 flat legal fee ($375/hour) that he has been quoted.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

The question is, what is a reasonable per hour rate and what is a reasonable retainer. Also, since he’s on disability, does he qualify for free legal aid?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No.

License back. He has been quoted a $9000 legal fee or $375/hour. He is on disability. Is he eligible for free Legal Aid?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legal aid is quite busy, as you can imagine, because so many people need legal services and cannot afford attorneys and as such their services are limited. They typically do not handle professional license cases, but he can ask them first. If they cannot assist, he would need to contact the state bar association, which has a pro bono attorney program for those who cannot afford attorneys and they can refer him to an attorney who can assist.

The other issue is that professional licensing cases are generally specialized, so they do not have many attorneys who volunteer for the pro bono program with that specialty and usually he could end up with a civil litigation attorney without specialized experience in professional licensing.

Also, based on his mental health condition, he may want to consider filing a petition for pardon with the Board of Pardon and Parole to seek a pardon on his felony conviction, which would remove the conviction and would make his application for reinstatement a bit easier for him.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

He lives in Spokane, Washington. He has spoken to one lawyer - the one who wants the $9000 whether or not his appeal is successful. The charges were evading police and a second incident was for felony possession.

Thank you for your reply. Please use the REPLY button in this question and refrain from opening new questions for follow up about this matter. Thank you.

Your son needs to consider a petition for pardon first. As far as an attorneys, as I said, he can call the WA Bar Association and ask for the pro bono attorneys they may have in the area if he cannot afford a local attorney at http://www.wsba.org/Legal-Community/Volunteer-Opportunities/Public-Service-Opportunities/Moderate-Means-Program/Moderate-Means-Legal-Help/

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney