I live in Philadelphia, My husband passed away 7 yrs ago. I…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I live...

Second opinion] I live in Philadelphia, My husband passed away 7 yrs ago. I just found out that there is a lean against my home because he owes taxes and I don't even know from what because we were separate and when he got really sick I decided to take care of him. What should I do now. the reason I found out it was because I applied for a refinance and they did a title search. Please advise. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Philadelphia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am sorry Pennsylvania, Philadelphia is the city.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Has anything been filed or reported? I don't know I never got a letter.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/30/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you were legally married, you will now have to seek to clear the lien by payment. Even though you were living separately, you can be liable for the taxes if his name was on your property. So, at this point, you have to either pay off the lien, or you would need to engage a local attorney who can actually dispute the lien and depending on the type of tax debt could seek to have it removed or at least reduced to allow you to afford paying it off, but you will need to pay off the lien or have a court find it invalid before you could proceed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.