Is there a maximum amount that a landlord may raise your…

Customer Question
Is there a maximum...

Is there a maximum amount that a landlord may raise your rent in a given time period

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not understand the questrion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. If a tenant has a lease, the landlord could not raise the rent, unless the lease allows it. The rent would remain the same until the lease expires. If a tenant does not have a lease and rents month to month, the landlord could raise the rental amount, as long as they provided the proper notice. Unless the county has a specific rent control law in place to limit it, it would be at their discretion, to raise the rent as they see fit, to reflect current market conditions. If the landlord has a good tenant on the property, it would not make sense to keep raising it to force them out

our rent is going up Jan 1st to 1
$1250 that is a 40% increase.Four years ago it increased from $500 to $900 an 80% increase.Resulting in A 150% increase over 5 years

Do you know what other rentals are going for in the area? Is the landlord doing this once the lease expires?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!