How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34389
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to revise my divorce settlement from 2013? I

Customer Question

Is it possible to revise my divorce settlement from 2013? I was under duress at the time and was not represented. 25 yrs married, I already paid him for 1/2 house value. He wants 1/3 my retirement and 401in lump sum before his legal retirement age. Of course I made the money and he blew it. I am now disabled so need to revisit that crappy settlement. Thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

While you can speak with local lawyers, it is generally impossible to "revisit" a divorce settlement and decree after the time for filing an appeal has passed (about 30 days). If a part of it is unclear you can ask the judge to issue orders "clearing it up" and if some property wasn't assigned to either party in the settlement and decree then you can ask the judge to do something with that property but the trial level court would have lost jurisdiction to rehear a case just due to the fact that you are no longer happy with the terms.