There is more than one, is that okay? Kansas. I'm on SSI. I…

Customer Question
Hi. There is more...

Hi. There is more than one, is that okay?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm on SSI. I went to court today and was told not to bring an attorney on the summons. The judge ordered $450.00 for both me and my roommate. They are suing for breach of rental contract. She would not allow a payment plan. She wants it all on the 1st. I am unable to comply due to lack of resources. I said I would appeal and now she has raised it to $1842.00 within 14 days. Again no payment plan was offered.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. So, if I understand your situation correctly, your concern is that they are wanting more money than the judge awarded them in court, is that right?

Originally they were suing for $1842.00. It should not be that much. The judge was going to reduce it to $950.00. I told her I could not pay this, I'm on a fixed income. I am on SSI. I asked the judge if I could set up a payment plan and she said no. She then said if I can't pay the $950.00 by the first that I would have to pay $1842.00 within 14 days. Again she would not allow any payment plans. It also said I could not have brought an attorney today in court. Does that sound right? No attorney and no payment plan. There were many curious things that happened in court today. I don't think the judge was reasonable at all.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Depending on the jurisdiction of the court, an attorney may or may not have been allowed. For instance, in most small claims courts, attorneys are not allowed to be present in the courtroom at all. However, the court can also make the decision as to whether they will enter an order for a payment plan. It's sadly the court's discretion as to whether they would like to offer you a payment plan to get it done. Sometimes, judges aren't reasonable and it's very frustrating. One thing that i have seen though is that you can still settle the debt with the other party even in light of the court order. Many parties can still settle debts, even after a judgment has been entered.

It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions did you have for me?