I am a private citizen and would like to file a small claims…

Customer Question
I am a private...

I am a private citizen and would like to file a small claims or civil suit for defamation, slander or libel. Would you like to know about my claim?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am beginning to print my small claims forms at the library. I am going to file

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a neighbor who has called me a scammer. I have been residing at 1210 La Cresta Blvd. El Cajon, CA 92021. Briefly, I built a new home after the 2003 cedar fires in San Diego. It took 5 years! The house burned down at 1212 La Cresta Blvd. It was foreclosed in 2012. I purchased another home behind 1212 La Cresta Blvd. I also placed an instantmobilehouse on 1210 La Cresta Blvd. permitted as a homehealthcare unit for my husband. We are both seniors. My goal is for us to sale the house and the unit and retire. I have one neighbor who has called me a scammer for having the unit on the property illegally. Again, we have been permitted for the homehealthcare unit since 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. I am getting new renters in the house at 1210 La Cresta Blvd. on December 15, 2017. My neighbor had a conversation with the new renters and called us scammers. I had trouble in selling the house and I can prove its because of my neighbor making false statements about my husband and I. I also have emails from my realtor when we took it off the market on August 12, 2017 because it didn 't sell and my neighbor making several calls to the county saying our unit is illegal.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

If I provide the proof that our instantmobilehouse/homehealthcare unit is permitted and legal do I file my suit under Slander or Libel, or Defamation? Are statements from friends, business partners and acquaintances acceptable to the Judge or are they required to be in person?

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, the statements from other people are going to be admissible, but only if you go to small claims court and the judge allows them to speak. If you submit the declarations or statements from friends/business partners, etc. as a part of your initial complaint, then those statements would be considered hearsay which is inadmissible under California law. However, if you do sue in court and you do decide to bring them as witnesses, and the judge approves them as witnesses, then the judge can ask them questions to help support your complaint by providing their testimony. Does that make sense?