I have a question regarding attorney liens. California. The…

Customer Question
Hi... I have a...

Hi... I have a question regarding attorney liens.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The attorney I am an assistant for has withdrawn from representation due to non payment of fees by our client. We would like to file a lien on the client's furture judgement to collect our unpaid fees

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just want to know the procedure for filing a lien on a clients judgement.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/29/2017
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You can file a "Notice of Lien" with the court. But this is not actually necessary. The better course of action (though these are not mutually exclusive options) is to notify the insurance carrier that will be paying out any future settlement or award that you have a lien and that you need to be included as a payee on the settlement check.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hi, I am not sure which insurance carrier you are referring to... this was a civil suit... so whose insurance do i need to contact?