Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a question regarding attorney liens. California. The

Customer Question

Hi... I have a question regarding attorney liens.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The attorney I am an assistant for has withdrawn from representation due to non payment of fees by our client. We would like to file a lien on the client's furture judgement to collect our unpaid fees
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. I just want to know the procedure for filing a lien on a clients judgement.
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You can file a "Notice of Lien" with the court. But this is not actually necessary. The better course of action (though these are not mutually exclusive options) is to notify the insurance carrier that will be paying out any future settlement or award that you have a lien and that you need to be included as a payee on the settlement check.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I am not sure which insurance carrier you are referring to... this was a civil suit... so whose insurance do i need to contact?