I think I've been involved with a scam package clerk job…

Customer Question
I think I've been...

I think I've been involved with a scam package clerk job from home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Birmingham, AL 35242.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, thought I'd ask here first.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Started the job about a month ago under the impression I was working for a company called Logistics Point out of Florida. Receiving packages and sending them back out. I realize now that they could have just sent it themselves. Did some research and realized it is a scam. I am set to receive payment of $2,000 on December 7th. So, they are still sending me packages. I have contacted my "manager" Sarah Tobias about why I receive these shipments but "she" has been vague.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient while I type a reply.

You should be leery of any company that offers you a work at home position reshipping their packages. Reshipping jobs are all scams, and they can get you in serious difficulty with the law.

Here's how the scam works:

You get an unsolicited out of the blue offer of employment from what is usually a foreign company claiming it will be setting up a business here in the States. It's a work at home position. The salary is very high for the kind of work you are doing, and there's no real interview to speak of. You get the job easily on the strength of your resumé. If you're an adult, you know how to get a real job, and this just isn't the process.

There are two variations. In one, You're told that this job is to make purchases and you will be given credit card numbers to make them with. Then when the packages come to you, you'll repack them and ship them elsewhere. In the second version, you're told you'll be processing checks which you will put in your bank account or in an account you will open in the business's name. Sometimes, the "job" contains both scenarios.

Either way, there's no real reason on earth that an overseas company couldn't ship packages from their own office, which is a big red flag.

You need to stop reshipping these parcels now, because you will ultimately learn the hard way that you/your employers have been making purchases with stolen credit card numbers, and all of the purchases will trace to you because they will be shipped to and from your home. When you get arrested for trafficking internationally in contraband and stolen goods, and you look for your employer, they won't be anywhere to be found. Worse yet, because you're using the mail and putting the packages in the stream of commerce, this would be a Federal and not a state criminal offense.

You can read the history of both these types of job scams on Snopes.com, and you want to walk away from this job and take every precaution against identity theft if you've given them any sensitive personal details.

www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/reshipper.asp

Reship no packages. Cease all contact with your so-called employer. Report this to your police, to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Centr at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commmission at FTC.gov.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney