How do I file a complaint regarding hiippa violation. I am…

Customer Question
Second opinion] How do I...
Second opinion] How do I file a complaint regarding hiippa violationJA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: I am not talking about traffic. I am requesting info on a hippa violationJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: NoJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You must file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights if you believe that your HIPAA rights were violated by an entity covered under HIPAA. You typically have only 180 days from the violation to file the complaint, but good cause extensions of that deadline are granted.

You can find out more about how to file the complaint here on the US Department of Health and Human Services website:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/what-to-expect/index.html

You can't sue directly under the HIPAA act. You can only report the violation. However, you can sue separtely in civil court for the violation of your privacy rights

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.