I rented an apartment August 31, 2017. In early August we…

Customer Question
I rented an apartment...

I rented an apartment August 31, 2017. In early August we were told our rent will be $565.00/month based on our income. The day we signed the lease we were now informed the rent will be 675.00/month. I asked why the increase and was told 'because we are on the 1st floor and we have a roll in (handicap shower-elderly mother's request). I informed agent that is ILLEGAl and asked to speak to manager. I was told she isn't on property. BULLCRAP. We had to sign the lease to get my mother a safe home. (she has since passed away Nov. 8th)
I say that tactic is illegal. In the past I paid a lower fee because I was on the 1st floor due to lack of security. According the ADA laws requesting an ADA shower can't be charged more.
What do I do?
Thank You, ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. I'm currently not financially able to hire a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, but i think their 'bait and switch' tactic is illegal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/29/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 7 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. At the time you were informed of the $565/mo, was that after you requested the roll in?

Are you there?