I have two brothers and one sister and my dad passed away 2…

Customer Question
I have two brothers...

I have two brothers and one sister and my dad passed away 2 years ago and i have been paying all the bills and liveing on the land one of my borther is going to sgin it over to me the other two wants to sell it i want a lawyer to help me please

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No i went to taxes office and sgin a papper to pay taxes because my dad owe 2500 on taxes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Me and my husben has but a lot of money in the land and house to fix everthing and have been paying the taxes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You are going to need to file to open probate for your dad.You need to be named the personal administrator.You can be reimbursed as PR for all the taxes and any other fees.The property can be sold by the PR and the proceeds after reimbursement are divided.If one of the siblings wants to gift you their share they can do so in writing.The lawyer can draft all of this.

Unless your dad put title in your name while he was alive probate here is necessary to allow you as PR to transfer title.

Lawyer for you here

N.C. Lawyer Referral Service  

1.67 Google reviews

Attorney referral service in Cary, North Carolina

Address: Cary, NC

Hours:

Open today · 8AM–5PM

Phone: (800)(###) ###-####/a>

Have the lawyer review the deeds and see if probate is necessary, I am afraid it is here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

ok

In North Carolina, probate is the process that happens after a person (the "decedent") dies, regardless of whether the person died with a valid will or without a valid will. If a decedent dies with a will, then their property is distributed according to the will. If a person dies without a will, then North Carolina probate laws dictate how the decedent's assets are distributed. Probate isn't always required after someone dies; it depends on what assets the decedent owned.

The Probate Process in North Carolina

A probate proceeding begins when the court appoints someone to handle the administration of estate, i.e. a personal representative. Often, the decedent will already have named the personal representative in his or her will. If not, the court or clerk of the court will appoint someone (see below).

He or she must:

1. Assemble all the decedents assets;
  2. Pay the bills (funeral expenses, creditors, taxes, and general administration expenses);
  3. Distribute any assets that are left over.

Types of Estate Administration

The process of administering the estate will vary depending on whether or not the decedent had a valid will and the type of probate administration the decedents estate will have to go through.

The land will have to go to probate, you will need a probate lawyer to make application and get you appointed.Once you are appointed as personal represented legally you can sell it and sign as PR to transfer title to buyer and reimburse yourself.If the siblings want to gift their share to you the lawyer can prepare this document too.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

Reference

The Probate Process in North Carolina

He or she must:

1. Assemble all the decedents assets;

Types of Estate Administration

Please let me know if you have more followup.Be happy to help.

Ray, Lawyer