I just found out that my dads car wasn't being paid for

Customer Question
I just found out...

I just found out that my dads car wasn't being paid for months or even a year and the repo man came to My house looking for my dad saying the police will be involved if he doesn't contact him. What should i do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Honolulu hawaii and its a 2007 Hyundai van

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that i know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It also has 2 outstanding parking tickets

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Have you spoken to your dad about this? Do you know why it was not being paid?

It was a family member he trusted and that person never paid

Thank you for the reply. Even though this is your father, unless you signed and were liable for the payments, the repo man can not do anything to you nor do you have to get involved. Since the payments were not being made, the finance company wants to exercise their right and take the car back. This is a civil issue, not criminal, so the police are not going to get involved or arrest your father because the payments were not being made. You can speak with your father and share this information with him and see if he will voluntarily surrender it but he does not have to if he does not want to and absent a court order, the police are not just going to get involved, unless the repossession causes a disturbance of the peace or other issues.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer