My son, who is 21 was stopped by an officer coming out of…

Customer Question
Hi, My son, who...

Hi, My son, who is 21 was stopped by an officer coming out of CVS. They found him with drug paraphernalia, an empty pot bottle. He has no record, never been arrested before, but has a court date of January 8, 8:30 am. Should I get an attorney to represent him? Thank you, Debbie

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

It happened last Monday, Nov. 20, in Yuma, Arizona, on 4th Ave.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am his mother and we are snowbirds. My husband, son, and myself have only been here since October 1. We have been traveling the last 3 years in our motorhome so we don't know anyone here.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. My recommendation would be to get an attorney. If he cannot afford one, then the public defender's office is going to step in and give him an opportunity to have a lawyer for free. The prosecution will probably argue that these charges against him should be a felony. An attorney would probably be able to argue that someone with no criminal record should not be given a felony. It is more likely that he may be given a misdemeanor possession charge and be ordered to pay a fine or be on probation. Jail time is not likely for this non-violent offense. However, an attorney will be able to help work some magic to better assit. What other questions did you have for me today?

Tina, Lawyer