I have been living on a piece of property that belom. South…

Customer Question
I have been living...

I have been living on a piece of property that belom

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just recieved a notice to quit and vacate the property the owner owes me several thousand dollars for unpaid labor I wish to contest the notice and file lien against the property

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been living on the place for more than four years and was promised to live here indefinately and now I have only three days to vacate

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have a verbal rent agreement to stay on the property in exchange for doing work, you need to not leave the property. In order for them to remove you from the property legally, they have to sue and you would countersue them for breach of lease and breach of contract for the work done on the property.

You cannot just put a lien on the property, you need a judgment so suing them or countersuing if they sue first is how you get a judgment and then you can put a lien on the property if they do not pay you for the work done.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.