I am benficiary to a retirement & death policy. We were not…

Customer Question
I am benficiary to...

I am benficiary to a retirement & death policy. We were not married when the paperwork was signed. He has since passed. I know he had a large amount owed the IRS. Should I assume the IRS will recover the amount for his past dept.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the original documents, we signed 2014

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just need to know the process.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Is this a life insurance policy?

No, this is a company retirement, with a separate life policy. He was a single gentleman. He also made monthly pymts. I reside in Arizona.
If it had not already been garnished then it should just pass to you as the named beneficiary. Put in your claim

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!