I cancel bank automatic draft for my progressive auto

Customer Question
I cancel bank automatic...

I cancel bank automatic draft for my progressive auto insurance thru bank on 7/26/17 and called them that day to cancel my insurance. On August 7, 2017 I receive a bill indicating that my insurance was no longer effective as of September 3, 2017. Then I received a renewal notice for this insurance that covered Sept 3, 2017 thru March 3, 2018. I didn't send the renewal premium since insurance was only effective thru Sept 3, and I cancel the insurance. Now I am receiving a bill from a collection agengy for 300.00 What can I do. They also is charging me for insufficient fee on the automatic draft which was cancelled in July 2017?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Michigan - 2013 Chevy Equinox

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Who is the manufacturer? Is it progressive. I also went the office on harper in Detroit mi and was told if I don't renewal insurance I don't owe any money

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a classic breach of contract if you advised them that you were no longer going to be paying for the insurance and planned on cancelling it, but they charged you anyway. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

You may want to request with them that they contact the debt collection agencies and advise specifically that they terminate the collection of the debt immediately.

What other questions did you have for me?