I have a question about civil matter. Texas. Y Yes

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question about civil matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Y Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 4 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

What is your question?

I was dog sitting a bull pit bull for a friend. On 10/20/17 while at work I recieved a phone call stating the dog had broken through the fence and bit my neighbor's 6 year old son. Wen I got home, one picket was on the ground in my yard. It appeared that the picket was kicked down from my neighbors side, am I responsible for damages cause by the dog?

You could be. The issue is going to revolve around whether you were neglegent or not. There is a certain degree of presumed negligence which tends to come with having a pit bull in your possession (whether fair or not). If you can somehow prove that another person broke the picket to allow the pit bull to escape then you should be able to place most, if not all, of the fault on that third person. If you have homeowner's insurance, my suggestion is to contact them immediately and they will usually do an investigation and sometimes even hire an expert to examine the fence, the broken picket, etc. and determine how the board was broken and from which side.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney