I was my Grandfathers caregiver for 6.5 years until he

Customer Question
I was my Grandfathers...

I was my Grandfathers caregiver for 6.5 years until he passed by my side in his home. My brother had him sign everything to him 6 years ago and left me nothing... Do I have grounds, I don't want to, it's hurtful. But I just need to know... My Grandfather promised me so much and my brother is well aware of what should have been mine. THANK YOU, Paula

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Nothing, just witnesses

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was never paid, not that I should have been, it's my Grandfather, but if this is how it's gonna be I may as well see if I have grounds to collect something if material things are signed to him.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

When you say that property was signed to your borther, do you mean it was left to him in a will? It was given to him on the day of signing or sometime before your grandfather's death, or something else?

Stocks, shares, permits were signed in 2011. I have yet to see a will. There were things I guess that said upon my death. But I haven't scene anything

No one has an automatic right to inherit regardless of whether they spent a lifetime caring for someone or only knew them for a few days. Usually issues such as this are addressed by challenging the mental compentency of the deceased back when they made the will or signed the papers. Although they can also be voided if some type of undue influence was involved. If you believe that your grandfather was mentally compentent at the times the papers were signed or gifts were made then it would be extremey hard for you to get a court to decide otherwise since you apparenty spent more time with him than anyone else. You certainly can retain a local attorney and have them contact your brother and ask for a copy of all paperwork and then the attorney can look to make sure the proper format was used.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.