I was sharing a rental home with my brother and his wife. We…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, I was...

Hello Pearl, I was sharing a rental home with my brother and his wife. We had some problems so I decided to move out. My rent is paid until,Dec 1, I have been moving my items alone so it is taking me some time but am now being told by my brother I cannot come to the house, they are keeping my belongings , using them or disposing of them. I need to know can I legally get back,in the house to get my items and can I take everything even though they say they are keeping them?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, they just told me verbally that they could have me evicted but have not moved on it because they are assuming at my age I won't fight them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so , I just want my belongings and want to know if I have to have everything out by the 1st or do I have time to gather my things?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Ty

Good afternoon. They have no legal right to hold any of your belongings hostage or keep or discard any of them. Also, they have a legal obligation to allow you reasonable access to retrieve all your belongings. If they do not or if they discard or damage any of your belongings, they are legally liable for the value of everything they discard, damage, or retain. In addition, given their intentional misconduct, it's likely they will subject to punitive damages. In the meantime, if they are holding anything that you need on a daily basis, then you can legally replace it and they will be liable for the cost of replacement.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard

Richard, Attorney