My boyfriend and i been having numerous problems with the…

Customer Question
Hello! my boyfriend and...

Hello! my boyfriend and i been having numerous problems with the new apartment complex that we moved into. We were on vacation and the manager gave a notice that they would be entering our condo to exchange the heater exchanger.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Streetsboro, ohio 44241. that entered before i was finished. i apologize

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Well when they gave the notice they would be entering we were gone. We learned at that time when they entered they saw bed bugs and they collected a few of them too. They told us that someone will be coming to the condo immediately to get rid of them. This was a outside company so we would have to pay to get rid of them. she gave me a estimate price between 200-300. when they came they estimated lil less than 900 and did not give them permission to do the whole place just our bedroom. my question is by law if i refuse to pay because they could of came anywhere because the whole building shares a washer and dryer 1) can they evict me? 2) can it hurt my credit? 3) can they make me pay this? 4) can this prevent me from getting another place by putting this on my credit? The only paperwork that was filed was apartment lease and the bill for the bed bugs

Lawyer's Assistant: You have to pay for your first question. If you sign up for a membership, there is a free trial for questions after that. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much so im prepared?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, the terms of your rental agreement are going to be what controls. Some rental agreements have bed bug addendum that dictate who is going to pay for the eradication of them. On the other hand, if it is silent, then the landlord is responsible for not only getting rid of the bed bugs, but also for paying for them to be killed. In total, this appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

So, to answer your questions:

1. No

2. They cannot evict you so it won't hurt your credit.

3. No.

4. If the agreement does not state you're responsible for bed bug eradication, then you can't be evicted and it won't go on your credit report. Regardless, whether what's on your credit report affects you will be up to any new landlords.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Tina, Lawyer