Minnesota. There is a notice of a divorce case

Customer Question
Hi, my name is*****...

Hi, my name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a notice of a divorce case

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

What can I answer for you, please?

I have been notified not officially by my husband of a divorce. When is this officially for the state of Minnesota? And I filed myself in the Netherlands for divorce but a couple days later than my husband. I am wondering how the law in Minnesota is dealing with 2 procedures?

Thank you. You are officially "served" when one of the following happens:

1) You sign a WAIVER stating that you do not need proper service. The waiver is then filed with the court; or

2) You are served in your country, and then under Hague convention rules, the service affidavit is forwarded back to the Court.

If you have knowledge of the suit, but have not been served, it is best to retain counsel in Minnesota to file an Answer. If you do not file a timely answer, you can DEFAULT and the case would be over before it begins. You can file an Answer even before being served. I say that because your husband may try to ask the Court for permission to serve you via substitution by claiming he cannot find you, and then the Court would allow a service via newspaper or last known address and it would count as proper. Once you do not reply, the Court will then consider DEFAULT.

Unfortunately, jurisdiction for a divorce - at least in MN - is a "race to the courthouse." Whoever files first in MN has jurisdiction. So for MN at least, the MN Court considers its case proper. I do not know what Dutch law says, but I imagine it is similar - since he filed first, I am guessing that the MN divorce controls in the Netherlands as well (but you may wish to confirm this with a Dutch attorney). If so, then the Dutch divorce would have to be dismissed and you'd continue on with the MN case.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.