Was held 10 months past discharge date in WV DOC, how can I…

Customer Question
Was held 10 months...

Was held 10 months past discharge date in WV DOC , how can I find an attorney to help??

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Couple months after I got out yesterday then later was told didn't have a case but I know better

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Wv

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want someone to help

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Why were you held an extra 10 months? Why were you told that you didn't have a case?

PO failed to turn in time, not sure that's what a local attorney told me

I asked that question because typically with an open and shut case against the county, there shouldn't be any difficulty finding a lawyer who would be willing to take it on. I have no idea why a lawyer would tell you that you didn't have a case, but in general, it wouldn't be in his interest to lie about it.

If your PO was negligent, however, and the breach of his duty was the direct cause of 10 months of wrongful detention, you would certainly seem to have a suit, however, and if you haven't waited too long to bring the action, (2 years) you could potentially be compensated financially for the loss of your liberty.

You need a civil rights lawyer or a litigator in general civil practice who is not afraid of going after a government agency.

Unfortunately, JustAnswer is not a law firm, so lawyers here cannot actually represent customers with their cases or make direct referals to lawyers or law firms. We are only able to provide general legal information. What I can do, however, is to direct you to the same services that lawyers themselves use when they need to find a lawyer in a particular field or state and don't know of one so that you can find a lawyer.

One such source would be the West Virginia Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $50 for the referral and that fee includes a free half-hour appointment with a lawyer. Let them know you're in the military and would prefer someone with experience in that area as well.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=WV

To get still a wider range of possibilities, you can also check out a commercial lawyer referral service. There are many of them, but two that are highly regarded are www.Martindale.com and www.Avvo.com

Many of their lawyers are peer and client-rated, which you might find helpful to narrow down your choices.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney