I gave my friends son my car ..after renewal of insurance n…

Customer Question
I gave my friends...

I gave my friends son my car ..after renewal of insurance n promises he would change car over to his name ( evident by text msg ) turns out he crashed n abandoned it .I may be sued because damage may go over my coverage..can I sue him for the excess amount that I maybe liable for

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Nj ..I am not looking for damages on the car I gave him..the car he hit is claiming above my coverage

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes the car he hit put a claim against my insurance

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I sue him if I am found to have to pay out of pocket

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

can I sue him for the excess amount that I maybe liable for

.

Yes, since he is the cause of the wreck in the first place, he is entirely liable to you for anything that you might end up having to pay if your insurance doesn't cover everything.

.

.

thanks

Where would I file a lawsuit ( in the town I live? Or the town accident took place) can I add his father because it was the both of them present when I basically sold ( but have) them the car ..I didn't take money because they were like family to me .

You would have to sue the person wherever he lives.. And no, the father is not liable for the actions of the son if the son is over 18.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much