I was married to a man with three children. He died I was…

Customer Question
I was married to...

I was married to a man with three children. He died I was not on the deed can I stay in the house?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CALIF

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, if cant stay, can they shut my mail off, or my phone?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did he pass with a will in place?

.

Are the utilities in your name or are they in your husband's name?

.

.

thanks

I don't know if he had a will. The children wouldn't tell me. The phone was and I don't what she did with my mail.
I need an answer.

Ok if he had a will then if he left you less than 30% of his estate, you can legally claim that under your spousal elective rights to elect against the will.

.

If he had no will, you inherit half his estate and the children inherit the other half.

.

But they could force a sale of the house if you couldn't settle with them where you keep the house and they get other assets.

.

As for the utilities, they have no legal authority to cut off utilities that are in your name or affect your mail as mail delivery is a federal service and tampering with it is a crime.

.

As for your phone, if it is in your name, they can't terminate your service.

.

.

thanks

Ok, can we go to court with this? How do I fight them
I need to study this

They can't do anything at all until someone files a probate case to settle his estate. So until that happens, nothing will happen to the house or the estate..

.

Once someone files a probate case to settle his estate, that is when you can make your claim against his estate based on whether he has a will or not.

Thank you. I will fight this.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much