Does a Condo Board have a duty to advise owners of fire

Customer Question
Does a Condo Board...

Does a Condo Board have a duty to advise owners of fire safety regulations annually?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Sorry, New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A condo board has a fiduciary duty to the owners to use ordinary care to avoid causing injury to the owner-members of the association. Failure to do so is negligence, and is compensable. So, the answer is yes, the board has such a duty. However, this duty is created by judicial case law precedent, and not by statute or ordinance. So, I cannot point you to a particular NY law or NYC ordinance that covers the issue. It's what is known as a "common law fiduciary duty."

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Lawyer: Ivy-cssm,
 replied 7 months ago
Ivy-cssm

Hello, We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (paste the question link into the response). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.