I have an ex after continually threatening to sue me for non…

Customer Question
I have an ex...

I have an ex after continually threatening to sue me for non valid reasons of any kind other than he's tired of having to layout the buyout of our business. He says he has enough money to bury me in court.. More than I obviously have to fight a non issu

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma and it's an ex business partner, who we did a buyout over 2 yrs ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing filed, just keeps threatening if I don't give up the buyout, he will sue me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I've started rebuilding in the same industry and he's pissed about my success, unfortunately all monies are being used to rebuild so there's nothing else for me to have to fight him with

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2017
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You've provided some interesting facts, but no specific question. What question do you have about your circumstances?

I want to see if this is harassment of personal malice? He hasn't filed anything and just makes the comment that I need to give up my buyout or get sued? It's just ongoing! The atty he is hiring just keeps threatening to tie this up in court, literally stating he has enough $ to do so. I need to be able to focus on rebuilding my business and this constant threat is ridiculous. There is no merit, honestly makes me sick an atty is even listening to this
I just do not know the legal harassment laws in Oklahoma, but feel he is overstepping and the harassment is out of line.

It's' not harassment. If your ex were a third party, for example, because the business is a corporation, LLC or some other legal entity, then it would be intentional interference with contract -- and, possible intentional infliction of emotional distress. It also may be a straight breach of contract, under the implied covenant of good faith, which holds that a party to a contract cannot by act or omission prevent another party from obtaining the benefit of the contractual bargain.

So, you do have some legal recourse here. But, not based on some sort of criminal or civil domestic relations restraining or protective order. You would have to sue your ex straight up for the various actions I've described. You could also try to push back, perhaps by hiring a lawyer to write a letter, and threaten your own legal action unless your ex ceases with the legal threats.

Note that if your ex were to move beyond threatening a lawsuit, such as something like: "If you don't give me back the business, I will ruin your reputation in the community," then that would be criminal extortion, at which point you could contact the sheriff/police. But, as long as the only threat is civil action, there is no extortion, because civil action is excepted from the criminal extortion laws (otherwise, no one could threaten to sue, when they had a valid cause of action).

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!