Bought a condo with an ex wife, she put the down payment…

Customer Question
Bought a condo with...

Bought a condo with an ex wife, she put the down payment down from her separation settlement. Our agreement was I would pay mortgage and all other cost until I caught up with what she put down, then we would split all cost associated with the condo, So for a long time I've paid the mortgage, taxes, condo fees, and all other expenses well past the amount she put down. She wants to sell. So my question is how would the proceeds from the sale be split or what would be a fair bye out if I offered her one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If you close in escrow then the title company is just going to issue a check payable to the owners of record.

If you want it split, you would need to both sign a letter of direction instructing the title company how to issue the checks.

You can add up what each owner has paid and compensate each other on paper for any imbalance. Then split the remainder of the proceeds.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!