I had an instance where a bouncer at a club in the Keys

Customer Question
Hello. I had an instance...
Hello. I had an instance where a bouncer at a club in the Keys kicked me out of the club after a young woman verbal assaulted me in the bathroom and then proceeded to wait outside the bathroom for me and my friend with her boyfriend who then pushed my friend after she tried to resolve the issue at hand. They bouncers separates us before I could get her name. The bouncer that watched over my friend and I while his boss was watching the surveillance tape made multiple racist comments to me regarding the fact that I am Cuban and bilingual. I do not know what to do in this case to make sure this sort of this does not happen again, especially considering the current political atmosphere wherein immigrants are being discriminated against more than ever.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

that’s fine.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for the patience. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. This is a difficult situation only because there is only some limited relief. The best thing that I could think of would be that you are being discriminated against as a result of your nationality and your ethnicity which is prohibited under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Companies that are open to a public, like a nightclub, are prohibited from discriminating against people on the basis of their age, race, gender, nationality, or sexual orientation generally. If you feel that you were targeted, then you may want to contact your local department of consumer affairs or you could bring a civil complaint against them in a local FL court.

What other questions did you have for me today?

What sort of resolution should I realistically expect from filing a complaint with consumer affairs?

That depends. They may issue them a letter advising them that they cannot do this; they may fire the bouncer that said these things; they may make them pay a fine; and they may require them to all go through multicultural sensitivity training and provide proof that they have done so. It is possible that if you bring a private lawsuit, you can suggest that you've suffered damages. What other questions did you have for me?