What is statue of limitations on reporting assault cases.

Customer Question
What is statue of...

What is statue of limitations on reporting sexual assault cases

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

2010 -end of assualt

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

In order to prosecute a sexual abuser, you must file a report with law enforcement. Criminal sexual abuse cases are filed by the State of Pennsylvania on behalf of a victim. A suspect may face jail time, sex offender registration, and other penalties, if guilty.

In Pennsylvania criminal cases, a prosecutor may file charges of child sexual abuse anytime before the victim’s 50th birthday. All other sexual assault and abuse charges involve a 12-year statute of limitations.

Additionally, there is a DNA evidence exception to the SOL. If a perpetrator is identified by DNA evidence after the statute of limitations has expired, a prosecutor may still file criminal charges within a year of a suspect’s identification.

So here if this involved an adult it is 12 years form when it occurred if it was an underage child then up until they are 50 years old.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.