Can a lawyer sue me even if he states no contract signed and…

Customer Question
Can a lawyer sue...

Can a lawyer sue me even if he states no contract signed and he did not do what he said he would do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, he filed a motion to dismiss stating I was not paying and we could not have a meeting of the minds and sign off on a contract. Then he is suing me for default on contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I countersued for breach of conctract

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

okay I will wait

If the attorney did not do any work then they are not entitled to payment. However, if they provided services, even without a written agreement, they can sue for payment based on quantum meruit.

They would still have the burden of proving the claim and also that there was an agreement that they would be paid for their services.

what if the lawyer did not do what he said he would do and is trying to sue for a lump sum and is only giving partial credit for monies already paid/

Then you can assert that as a defense to the full payment of what he is demanding.

As I said, the attorney has the burden of proving the claim in court and you can present your defenses and set offs.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!