My situation goes like this,my daughters asked me to stay in…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, my situation...

Hi Pearl, my situation goes like this,my daughters asked me to stay in their house while they would be away overseas working. For whatever the reason or reasons they would like me to vacate the house and is threatening me with eviction notice. Bear in mind I gave up my apartment to entertain their request. How do I handle this situation? Thanks for your help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't really know just mean threats to vacate..they are angry for some reason and I don't have s clue and am not trying to find out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, in light of their actions I have secured s place, given them verbal notice and waiting to be called when it is ready, supposedly early to mid January.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the main issue here is whether you are considered an employee or a tenant. If you are an employee, they could terminate you from the employment and if your staying there was conditioned upon your employment, then you'd have to leave and would have no recourse.

On the other hand, if you are a tenant, then there are certain things that they must do before they evict you. If you don't have a written lease agreement, then you would be considered a month to month tenant. A month to month tenant requires at least 30 days notice before they can be evicted from the property. The eviction notice has to be in writing. Their failure to do so would ultimately result in an invalid eviction. If you decide not to leave the property, then they would have to get a court order to get you removed from the property.

What other questions did you have for me?