My fiance"and I recently filled out an application for

Customer Question
My fiance"and I recently...

My fiance"and I recently filled out an application for rental of a property and was approved for it, and let our current landlord we were moving and he now has our place promised when today I get a call from the reality that d/t a eviction 7 yrs ago harrisburg, since then I never have been evicted and my fiance/ credit is good but now they ar telling me only 5 days from the move date that we can't have the place d/t the past eviction that was in my name, we hadn't signed the actual contract that was to be done tomorrow, now I have 5 days to move and no place to move to, all utilities have been scheduled to start in 5 days and be shut off at current resident, what are our legal stand here

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Johnstown pa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We actually feel it may be d/t that the landlord that hired the reality saw that my Fiance' is black

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok
no I don't want to switch to a phone call

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Hello

Thanks for your patience. Just one moment...

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. First, it is against the law, as you know, for a landlord to discriminate against someone on the basis of their race. If this is the case, then you may need to file a complaint with your state housing agency. On the other hand, you may have some recourse in respect to contract law. If you were approved and there were no additional conditions for you to meet, but then they later said that you were not approved, then this is a breach of contract based on promissory estoppel. Promissory estoppel simply means someone made a promise to you upon which you've detrimentally relied and if they balk on that promise, then they may owe you damages.

Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me today?