Is it difficult to contest a small claims decision when you…

Is it difficult to...

Is it difficult to contest a small claims decision when you feel the underlying decision was not fair

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A decision was rendered last Wednesday on a dispute with a contractor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Can a judge simply decide the defendant breached the contract by requesting the contract stop working due to poor workmanship?

11/27/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Actually, no. In NC, a party can appeal the case from small claims court de novo. What this means is that they have a right to appeal to district court for an entirely new trial, from scratch. This is done by:

1) Giving proper notice of appeal, and

2) Paying the appeal fee which is $150.00

However, the notice to file the appeal must be given within 10 days of the small claim court decision or it is waived.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law