I have a fiance who was cheating on me with a work collegue…

Customer Question
Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a fiance who was cheating on me with a work collegue and in a stupid moment of pain I sent the lawyer from their work an email pretending to be the girl he was cheating with and reported him. Is this a crime?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mass

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I used a fake email No nothing was filed but I got a call from their legal council I don't think they have proof I deleted the fake email address already But now I am freaking out It was so dumb I was just really hurt

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok thanks. Let me know if you need anything else.
I can call you too
Just want to make sure you can help first

Yes. In Massachusetts, this would make out identity fraud. You can see the statute here:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter266/Section37E

The relevant section is (b) below:

"(b) Whoever, with intent to defraud, poses as another person without the express authorization of that person and uses such person's personal identifying information to obtain or to attempt to obtain money, credit, goods, services, anything of value, any identification card or other evidence of such person's identity, or to harass another shall be guilty of identity fraud and shall be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment."

You do NOT want to discuss what you did with anyone other than the lawyer who would represent you if this results in an investigation.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.