I have a restraining order against my husband who is

Customer Question
I have a restraining...

I have a restraining order against my husband who is incarcerated for a domestic issue.He has contacted me twice through his mother and I did speak with him because I was told it was about the house that I am trying to keep for my children and the second call was about the heat.I felt entrapped by both him and his mother.Can I get in trouble for speaking with him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I was too scared.I don't want to get in trouble.I have my kids to take care of and his mother said if I said anything she wouldn't be able to see him.I feel like I have been used and entrapped by both of them

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

ok thank you
no thank you never mind
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

The phone call request is auto generated by the site, you can disregard if you're not interested. I'm almost done typing up my response, would you like me to continue?

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

No, you can't get into any trouble for this, but you do want to make sure to avoid future communications with him.

If communications were to continue, and your husband makes a record of it, he could potentially use it as evidence to petition the court for a removal of the restraining order, by showing that you are not legitimately in fear of him and are voluntarily communicating with him, despite the restraining order.

The restraining order is against your husband, not you, so that means that he has a legal duty not to violate it, or else he may face criminal penalties.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones