Is it necessary to get a hand gun bought from an individual…

Customer Question
Is it necessary to...

Is it necessary to get a hand gun bought from an individual registered in your name in Texas. Both parties live in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I think in the sellers name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 79 and have had a CHL for many years. I don't know the sellers name, my son in law purchased it for me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

,

No, private sales of handguns in TX do not require any type of re-registration from the time that the firearm was originally sold through a FFL dealer.

.

In the state of Texas you do not have to transfer ownership of the firearm via a dealer, nor do you have to have the firearm re-registered as there is no such firearms registration in the state of Texas.

A seller's only obligation is to reasonably assume that the purchaser is a Texas resident and legally able to own and possess the firearm. Often times people will request a Texas Drivers License to ensure they are a state resident, write a bill of sale, and sometimes take information from the purchaser. All of these are not required, but to some, are good practice to ensure the seller is performing their duty properly.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney