I signed a contract to buy a new home in west Virginia but…

Customer Question
I signed...

I signed a contract to buy a new home in west Virginia but they have not started building it yet so no closing papers yet ! But now they are saying the engineering and developers plans are different than what I signed for ! is this contract now void ! Because I do not want this house if it is not exactly the parameters that I signed for ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did its west Virginia .

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes , but not closing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. The builder does not get to unilaterally change the engineering and/or the development plans for the building. If the builder were to do this, it would be a breach of contract by the builder and it would give you the right to terminate and receive any deposit you have paid back. The change would not automatically void the contract, but, rather, the default would give you the right to terminate.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard

Richard, Attorney